Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What is Music To Me?

First of all, I gotta admit I'm truly expert at stalking, and yes, I've stalked The Latency Twitter account (it's pretty easy, haha). You would know that the band had actually asked the fans, "what is music, to you". So, that would be what I'll be covering today on the blog.

Although, let's face it, I'll be making it short because we don't really want to read wordy, essay-like blogs right? Haha! Here goes...

If you remember this tweet...



Yep, you got it correct if you remembered! It's even more weird and creepy that I've stalked Brandon...here was his tweet too.



I'll be answering those questions together at one go. I may go out of point and I won't apologize for that either, haha!

Music to me has got be a lot about who surrounds my life. The important people and loved ones. They made me feel loving the 'music' I'm living with them. The challenges that I've had to go through with them has strengthen our camaraderie. Does it even make sense? I hope it does.

When I was young, my favorite pastime is singing. Listening to the radio, tuning in to my favorite radio station. I would wait for the song I currently loved, I couldn't stop singing along to. I've had even dreamed of becoming a singer as young as 5 years old. My parents were a huge fan of music. Early morning, I would always hear the radio on. Different music that already was making everyone's day blasting off the radio speakers, I miss so much.

My dad actually wanted me to take piano lessons. It never happened simply because we couldn't afford it. I also thought that I didn't really wanted to, only at first thought. I was glad that I didn't have to, in the end. I didn't mind not having to play the piano because I've also thought music doesn't necessary of you playing any instruments.

Music has to come within you. It's not because of the instrument you can make music. It's you yourself that makes an instrument do the music. All your doing.

Let me tell you quite of a short story of my experience in choir. I had a chance in school to try out choir. I loved it and truly enjoyed it. I learned so much of vocal techniques and warm ups. It was an amazing choir experience of 5 years (4 years in primary school + 1 year in secondary school). It was where I made such great friends and helped others to discover their interest in music/singing.

I never thought possible that I would be able to read notes too. I'm still not good at it until my 1st year high school. We had an amazing music teacher. I couldn't believe that it would help so much in choir sessions. I was truly thankful for the music class even if it was for only a year. Unfortunately, two things: I'd have to quit choir (2nd year in high school). It was a tough decision, believe me. I cried my eyes out until I figured things out, and think of what I really wanted to do. I had a difficult time balancing with schedules and I truly wanted to go for a photography club instead. Second, I'd have to admit that I'd forgotten music notes after two years.

Right now, I didn't regret the decisions I've made. I embrace every moment I had with the choir and the experiences/challenges I've gone through with them. I'm more than happy to have let go of my dream to be a singer because I had the chance to open my eyes to new things, in fact a lot of new, brand new things. I'll always remember music a bittersweet ending for me. The happy memories I'd have with music will always be with me no matter what.

No wonder too, I understand how it was like for the band to have come together and decided to break the news to the fans about separating ways. I'm sure it was difficult for them too.

Am I even answering the question? Haha!

My family is like music to me. Definitely the inspiration to keep going in this life. Above my family and everyone else, it's God. God has helped my family in financials, hardships and every thing we have to face in this life. Provided our needs. In my family, my dad is truly my only father figure on earth. He has given advice and each advice I treasured and applied in life. I couldn't imagine without my dad. He's definitely my music and motivator. I'm not saying he's the only one, mom as well and my siblings. I wouldn't say yet, who's the guy that's like music to me. No guy for me yet, as far as I know. My music are my family at this moment and every day. Particularly my dad.

Music understands how we currently feel and it's one of the things that defines who we are when we share music to others. One particular song could resonate with anyone. As much as a person would. I don't know about you, but for me, I would almost always turn to music when I just couldn't take anymore of what's been happening in my life. Just like what Fork In The Road did. It was such an inspiring song. I'll never forget it. It was such a memorable thought for me not to have Fork In The Road in mind and heart.

I'm also learning to appreciate different music genre. I never thought of enjoying rock until recently. Probably it's because, it's underrated. Especially now that there's been so many K-pop, One Direction and many more pop bands out there. I'd been discovering my interest beyond what The Latency has showed me when it comes to rock. The Latency is the reason why I'm enjoying rock as well. It's amazing to hear more bands and getting to truly have an essence of new music.

Rock is like the opposite of classical. I saw in one of the comment on YouTube, and I couldn't agree more. When I had the chance of pondering on the difference between classical and rock. I've been a fan of classical (until now), listened to them before. I've had a moment of epiphany sort-of that it's just that classical is formal, elegant while rock is informal, eccentric kind of. Opposite but at the same time could've as well be the same thing altogether. I never thought of it that way before. Now, I just couldn't be bothered when my sister and I play air guitar, haha! I've also been asking around for recommendation of any rock bands out there.

The last couple of weeks - look what has happened to me, I tweeted:


Absolutely, haha! I personally want to thank you Jonny too. I'd been air drumming yesterday to Taylor Swift songs (thank you Mathew, haha!)!! I got this huge dictionary I was flipping through and scanning. I used it for air drumming.

Everyone has different views on what is music to them. I'm sure you have a story to tell your own as well. Be it someone who inspires that's like music to you, or just altogether a different kind of an inspiring story. It's your story, and uniquely yours.

I was also surprised that Music To Me is a single before The Latency has separated ways. You know what that means. They were supposed to have a new upcoming album after "The Latency" self-titled album. It's a great song to listen to right now! Go check it out on MySpace or easy search it on YouTube - Music To Me.

Anyways, that's got to be a blog I call rambling. That's it for my Music To Me topic! Until next week.

See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment